Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?

From: Russ Nelson
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:17:24 -0400

Aaron Whitehouse writes:
 > What Free software needs is an IDE that brings together existing open
 > standards to fill the same niche as Flash (SVG + video element tags
 > etc).

You have identified the problem.  Describing the problem is a very
good first step.  Now you need to create a solution, and then, the
biggest job is ahead of you: getting people to adopt it instead of
Flash.  As strongly as we-all here may feel about software freedom,
most people don't and most people never will.  Heck, most people are
willing to give up their freedom for shiny baubles.

To get them to support freedom, they're going to need a shiny bauble.
That is exactly what John suggests.  Then, once they have a *free*
shiny bauble, you can start to explain to them that it's only that
shiny, it's only that baubalicious, because it's free.  If you try to
do it the other way around: explain that they should value it because
it's free even though it's dull and not very round, you will have no
success.

John has had some success selling freedom to people.  You should
listen to him.

We didn't lose our freedom in one step, and we won't get to freedom in
one step.  Some steps will even be backwards, to get yourself a more
firm footing.

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | Software that needs
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | documentation is software