Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?

From: Russ Nelson
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 17:07:15 -0400

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 11:13 -0400, Dossy Shiobara wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, has anyone gotten a price quote for what
> licensing of the core necessary codecs would cost?  i.e., could we
> ship a "free" Gnash without the codecs, and a separate "non-free"
> Gnash that includes the codecs that we would pay royalties on, and
> simply pass-through the royalty costs to the end user?

We could do that if we held the copyright.  License to the public
using the GPL, and license with a royalty taken and paid with
proprietary codecs.

While, on the one hand, that might seem to be rather AGAINST the
mission of OpenMediaNow, what it would serve to do is get many more
Flash players out there which can play Ogg/Theora ... which *is*
within the remit of OpenMediaNow.

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | Software that needs
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | documentation is software