Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?

From: Dossy Shiobara
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash 0.8.2 on OLPC XO?
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 11:13:57 -0400

On 2008.04.05, Rob Savoye <address@hidden> wrote:
> I believe so, I can check with Dennis who builds the packages for the
> XO at OLPC. I'm also an OLPC developer.

Hey, if other Gnash developers want an XO OLPC, we just need to do the
buy-one-get-one for USD$400, right?  We can hack on the regular "retail"
version?

Is there a "developers kit"--a Linux binary cross-compiler toolchain
with the OLPC as target?

> Multimedia codecs is a big issue these days.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone gotten a price quote for what
licensing of the core necessary codecs would cost?  i.e., could we ship
a "free" Gnash without the codecs, and a separate "non-free" Gnash that
includes the codecs that we would pay royalties on, and simply
pass-through the royalty costs to the end user?

This might not be very GNU, but perhaps a third-party company could
offer such a thing.

I'd like to document on the wiki which codecs are "missing" in the
completely free redistributable binary version, and then make some
inquiries as to licensing costs.  It would just be good to know.
Perhaps the XO folks could license those codecs and cover the licensing
costs as part of the OLPC price.

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara              | address@hidden | http://dossy.org/