global-orgs-general

Re: How far to go with GNU/Linux Users groups?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: How far to go with GNU/Linux Users groups?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 01:34:39 -0700 (MST)

    I am somewhat surprised to read this, as before when we discussed this,
    you were particularly interested to include GNU/Linux user groups, at
    least.

We were talking about a different issue then.

    When we discussed it before, RMS, Loic and I basically came to a consensus
    that it made sense to list all these groups on one page, with different
    sections about the different kinds of groups they are.

Yes, exactly.  Listing GNU/Linux User Groups *as GNU/Linux User
Groups* on our web site is a good idea.  (We were supposed to be doing
that early in the year.)

Recall, though, that in my last message I was responding to a
different issue:

    Work has finally begun on building a better world-wide coordination system
    of organizations that support software freedom.

You raised issues of deciding whether a GNU/Linux User Group fits in
this category, and I said we should sidestep the question by not
including any of them *in this list*.

But we do want to have a list of GNU/Linux User Groups on www.gnu.org.
That list will be easier to maintain, because we won't need to try to
judge how strongly committed they are to software freedom.  We will
just take a quick look at the web site and see that it really acts
like a GNU/Linux User Group.

Whether these two lists go in the same HTML file is a question I don't
feel strongly about.

    I think it's important that we tell the world when we know a particular
    group in a particular town has people who attend regularly that stand for
    software freedom.

It would be nice, but it isn't feasible for us to commit ourselves to
doing this often.  If, from time to time, you happen to notice this,
well and good.