global-orgs-general

[Global-orgs-general] Re: How far to go with GNU/Linux Users groups?

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: [Global-orgs-general] Re: How far to go with GNU/Linux Users groups?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:31:42 +0000 (GMT)

I think all you said about FSF's and ANSOL and APRIL sounds
reasonable. In both cases, if we maintain some kind of activities
track, we could determine how close to their freedom principles they
remain. Their activities can speak for himself, i think.

   Naming Issue
   ------------

   Of course, we won't list an organization if they haven't made some
   commitment to call the system, "GNU/Linux".  Some organizations may do
   this in the name itself.

I only know one of these in Spain: gugs (Grupo de Usuarios de GNU de
sindominio). As i know, no other contain GNU in their name, in opossed
with "Linux", that is everywhere.

   However, many organizations are well established as "LUGs" and may be
   reluctant to change the official name.  it seems to me that we don't want
   to be too rigid on that matter.  Thus, I'd like to make the rule that we
   consider the naming matter "resolved" if at least one person (whose
   contact info we have, and) who has *editing access* to most published
   documents (primarily the website) agrees to say GNU/Linux consistently,
   even if the name of the organization itself is still a "LUG".

Here in Spain we have a formula to solve that: Hispalinux is a
national wide traditional LUG. GNU Spain have editing access to all
the Hispalinux's CVS repositories, and we are invited by Hispalinux to
fix all the possible lexical ("Linux" by "GNU/Linux") and conceptual
(what is free software) missleadings in their web pages, articles, and
so.

Perhaps that model could be followed in other countries (with "trusted"
groups as APRIL or ANSOL, or any local FSF).

   Adherence to Principles

   [...]

   Thus, for each such group, I suggest that we find a core group of 3-5
   people whom we trust.  We can check in with them for reports every six
   months or so to see how the advocacy is going in their organization.

I think that is good. Perhaps the gap between reports could be adapted
for each organization.

--
Jose E. Marchesi <address@hidden>
GNU Spain        http://es.gnu.org