global-orgs-general

Re: How far to go with GNU/Linux Users groups?

From: Frederic Couchet
Subject: Re: How far to go with GNU/Linux Users groups?
Date: 13 Dec 2001 15:41:46 +0100

    Jose> I think all you said about FSF's and ANSOL and APRIL sounds
    Jose> reasonable. In both cases, if we maintain some kind of
    Jose> activities track, we could determine how close to their
    Jose> freedom principles they remain. Their activities can speak
    Jose> for himself, i think.

FYI, we are going to translate in Englished our activity report for
the 2001 year (to be sent to FSF*).

    Jose> Here in Spain we have a formula to solve that: Hispalinux is
    Jose> a national wide traditional LUG. GNU Spain have editing
    Jose> access to all the Hispalinux's CVS repositories, and we are
    Jose> invited by Hispalinux to fix all the possible lexical
    Jose> ("Linux" by "GNU/Linux") and conceptual (what is free
    Jose> software) missleadings in their web pages, articles, and so.

    Jose> Perhaps that model could be followed in other countries
    Jose> (with "trusted" groups as APRIL or ANSOL, or any local FSF).

In some country like France, it's more difficult to follow this
formula. The direct access to foreign CVS repositories is not well
accepted by people. We send our comments to LUGs or other
organizations and they decided to fix the problem or not. And, we try
to find one or two people, whom we trust and with a strong commitment
to software freedom, to disseminate free software ideas in the LUG and
change the official policy if needed.

--
Petition contre les brevets logiciels      http://petition.eurolinux.org/
Frederic Couchet                     Tel: 06 60 68 89 31 / 01 49 22 67 89