ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM 2013: topics and talks

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM 2013: topics and talks
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 09:35:02 +0200

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 04:07:47PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
     "Neal H. Walfield" <address@hidden> skribis:

     > At Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:16:12 +0200,
     > John Darrington wrote:

     [...]

     >> But the problem is, we never decide where, when or even *if* the GHM
takes place
     >> until rather shortly before the event.  Consequently most people cannot
make any
     >> definite plans.
     >
     > That's not true.  We knew at GHM 2011 that GHM 2012 would take place
     > in Düsseldorf.  I began contacting people at the beginning of 2012.

     Indeed.  Similarly we knew at FOSDEM (Feb. 2011) that GHM 2011 would
     take place in August in Paris.

I wasn't in a position to attend GHM2011, so I don't remember what happened.

But I think you missed the point of my previous mail.  You (and Neal) say
"we" knew where and when it was going to be.  This may well be true. YOU
knew that. But nobody else did.

GHM2012 wasn't announced till April 3.  It is now April 13 and GHM2013 still
has not been
announced. It may well be true that "we" know where and when it will be.  But
nobody else does
(at the moment, I'm still not sure whether it is in Dusseldorf or Gothenburg,
and I have
no idea of the date).

My experience of most conferences is that the date and location is decided *and
announced*
along with the call for papers at least 12 months in advance[1].  With GHM
however there are
rumours about where and when ("we" know), but an announcement is made only a
few months beforehand.
I suspect that is a contributing factor to low attendance.

J'

[1] See http://www.grc.org/meetings.aspx?year=2014  and
http://www.aacn.nche.edu/conferences for
just an idea of how and when other organisations announce conferences.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.