gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] Trust

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] Trust
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:43:53 +0200

> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:37:18 -0800
> From: Stan Shebs <address@hidden>
>
> I've been pondering a while just what it is that people are really
> unhappy about, and I think the deepest underlying problem is a lack of
> trust. You see it in the desire to have private meetings, in the
> accusations about cabals, attempts at public censure, and so forth.

I don't agree with your analysis.  To me, this whole thing begins and
ends with inability of members of the development team to turn
technical differences of opinions into consensus that leads to a
solution which everyone can live with.  There are several possible
ways of reaching a compromise in such situations, but none of them
appear to be working in the cases in point.

The symptoms of distrust that you cite are, in my opinion, just normal
human reactions to the fact that a group of maintainers held
semi-private discussions before bringing the issues in the open.
People who were not invited are naturally upset, to say the least.

So I don't think the problem is trust.  I cannot speak for others, but
it is my firm impression that, all the accusations notwithstanding,
there's still trust between us when technical issues are at stake.
Just read the GDB mailing lists for a while, where those same people
conduct discussions about GDB development.  You cannot do that as
calmly as we do if there's no trust.

Of course, I'm half the world away of you-all, so I could be mistaken.

>     Do you trust the other GDB maintainers?
>
> For myself, I'll answer "yes, completely" for the global
> maintainers. I think any one of them could take over all of the GDB
> work tomorrow and make a success of it. My trust in the write after
> approval folks is variable, since some of them I know well and trust a
> lot, while others are unfamiliar to me.

Me, I trust all the maintainers and contributors.  I need a real good
reason to distrust someone, whereas trust is something I grant by
default.  So being unfamiliar with someone doesn't mean I don't trust
them.