gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] Trust

From: Stan Shebs
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] Trust
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:21:42 -0800

Michael Snyder wrote:

I know what you mean, and believe it or not, I'm much less aware
of that kind of thing now than I was when we were Cygnus.  Still,
I think you have to distinguish "business ethics" from "lying",
at least in the context of this conversation, because there has
been some intimation here that this rebellion was somehow fomented
by Red Hat management in an effort to wrest control of gdb away
from the FSF.  That simply is not true -- not even a little bit.
*That* kind of lying is not happening here, at all.

I'm beginning to regret saying anything, but too late now... :-)

OK, here's a different way to put it. Management actions, including
those which are totally reasonable and rational, can engender fear
and distrust in engineers. Part of my job as manager was to identify
and allay those concerns, sometimes well-founded, but just as often
overblown. My important point is that one's management is potentially
one of several sources of distrust, and everybody ought to understand
whether that is the case for them personally.

If not, then great! You are fortunate in your job, and have
nothing to fear, at least not until the next round of outsourcing...
How are those KPIT Cummins guys doing anyhow? :-)

Stan