gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: David Carlton
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:52:01 -0800

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:34:01 -0800, Michael Snyder <address@hidden> said:
> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>> * If Andrew won't permit some patches to be checked in, have other
>> global maintainers start approving patches, and trust that Andrew
>> will not simply revert them, particularly if he is alone in his
>> opposition.

> Although it has not happened in a while, Andrew has done exactly
> that.  This was, in fact, when he first (to my recollection) spelled
> out his position that a blanket write maintainer did not really have
> blanket write privileges.  Here's the thread, which does not include
> some rather heated telephone conversations:

> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2002-09/msg00394.html
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2002-09/msg00442.html
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2002-09/msg00448.html

C.f. also
<http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2003-02/msg00705.html> and
followups.  Daniel (a global maintainer) approved a patch involving a
file with "dwarf2" in its name but which didn't involve reading
symbols, after the submitter sent a ping complaining about how long
patch review was taking.  Andrew said that this approval was wrong,
that only the symtab maintainers were allowed to approve changes
involving that file.

David Carlton
address@hidden