gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Elena Zannoni
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:06:26 -0500

Ian Lance Taylor writes:
 > "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > I'd say you expressed it too extremely.  IMHO, it's not that Andrew
 > > gets his way whenever conflicts arise, it's just that some discussions
 > > never end in _any_ conclusion whatsoever.  They just die out.  And
 > > they die because Andrew does not always encourage compromises to reach
 > > solutions that would leave everybody at least partially happy.
 >
 > Thanks for the correction.
 >
 > Andrew is just one of twelve global maintainers.  I understand that he
 > is in some sense the head maintainer.  But there are eleven other
 > people who can make changes to gdb.  So, even accepting that Andrew
 > does not encourage compromise and resolution, that doesn't mean that
 > the other maintainers can't resolve issues and drive to closure.  Why
 > doesn't this happen?

I think mainly because nobody cares enough. It is much less effort to
let the rancor seep underground than drive it to a resolution.

 > To put it another way, not everybody need be good at everything.  If
 > Andrew isn't good at compromise and closure, that doesn't prevent
 > other people from taking charge in this respect.  Andrew doesn't need
 > to make every decision.
 >
 > Or are you suggesting something further: that Andrew actively resists
 > compromise and closure, and prevents issues from becoming resolved?
 >
 > Speaking generally, when problems linger without being resolved, it is
 > typically a problem of authority--nobody has the power to resolve the
 > issue--or a problem of responsibility--nobody will step forward and
 > take action--or a problem of conflict--people are evenly matched but
 > can not agree.  From the outside, it appears that any of the twelve
 > global gdb maintainers have the authority to solve problems.  So is
 > the problem here one of responsibility, or one of conflict?  Or is it
 > something else?

Most of the exchanges we have had (for instance on the voting proposal
a year ago) end up with somebody making an objection, and nobody
replying.  So the arguments just die. I believe there are also some
strong personality conflicts, that date back years.  I also think that
some of the arguments are quite petty. It seems that nobody is willing
to take a step back and put things into perspective. But as I said
other times, it kind of comes with the territory. We are all a bunch
of AR people with big egos, eager to have the last word at all cost.

That's why in the initial mail I sent out I was proposing to have a
more active steering committee, with an ombudsmen or mediator.  If the
developers don't feel comfortable talking to the head maintainer, then
they can have another forum to voice their grievances.

Actually, the mail the Andrew forwarded to this list is not the one I sent to
the steering committee (or, better, the members I could find). Here it is:

From: Elena Zannoni <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
   address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,