gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Andrew Cagney
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:54:11 -0500

Although it has not happened in a while, Andrew has done exactly that.
This was, in fact, when he first (to my recollection) spelled out his
position that a blanket write maintainer did not really have blanket
write privileges.  Here's the thread, which does not include some
rather heated telephone conversations:

Michael,

In choosing to immediatly revert the patch in that thread, rather than simply pointing out the technical reasons why committing it was incorrect, I recognized that I made an error of judgment. At the time I acknowledged this and appologized to you in front of (well on a phone call with) all of Red Hat's GDB developers.

I've since been very careful to not revert incorrect patches:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2003-07/msg00547.html

GDB has, since 2000, had global, and not "blanket write" maintainers. As I explained to david, it was to ensure that everyone, including me did not have the ability to override someones decision. I corrected the wording to reflect the reality of this clause:

"Note individuals who maintain parts of the debugger need approval to
 check in changes outside of the immediate domain that they maintain.

 If there is no maintainer for a given domain then the responsibility
 falls to a global maintainer.

 If there are several maintainers for a given domain then
 responsibility falls to the first maintainer.  The first maintainer is
 free to devolve that responsibility among the other maintainers."

The first paragraph (which was added in 2000) is not consistent with "blanket write privs".

Also, here's the thread I found proposing the clarification on gdb@:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2002-10/msg00186.html
and there it sat ...
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2002-11/msg00075.html

And here I am posting, and then committing, the patch:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2003-01/msg00674.html

Andrew

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2002-09/msg00394.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2002-09/msg00442.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2002-09/msg00448.html

It was about a month after this that Andrew changed the
MAINTAINERS file to read "global maintainers" instead of
"blanket write maintainers".