gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:41:49 +0200

> From: Elena Zannoni <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:06:26 -0500
>  >
>  > Andrew is just one of twelve global maintainers.  I understand that he
>  > is in some sense the head maintainer.  But there are eleven other
>  > people who can make changes to gdb.  So, even accepting that Andrew
>  > does not encourage compromise and resolution, that doesn't mean that
>  > the other maintainers can't resolve issues and drive to closure.  Why
>  > doesn't this happen?
>  >

> I think mainly because nobody cares enough. It is much less effort to
> let the rancor seep underground than drive it to a resolution.

That's one possibility, but there is another.  At least a few of the
maintainers have spoken to the effect that they are reluctant to enter
a discussion where they don't have a good chance to convince the other
parties.  My personal assessment of those cases was what I wrote
before: that the drive to reach some solution that will satisfy
everybody is less powerful than the drive to prove you are right and
the other party is wrong.

It is possible that someone acting as a mediator, as Elena proposes,
could be a solution to this.