gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: David Carlton
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:20:11 -0800

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:19:25 -0500, Andrew Cagney <address@hidden> said:

>> And why on earth would reducing the number of symtab maintainers
>> help, why is it a better idea than opening up the process so that
>> people who have shown that they know the code can approve patches?

> Who says the number would be reduced?

That's what you did the last time this came up - you convinced people
to remove their names from MAINTAINERS, without proposing any
replacements.  Having said that:

> Have unreliable maintainers step back, certainly, possibly make way
> for new ones.

I still don't see what good getting rid of maintainers does.  I wish
symtab patches got reviewed more frequently, but that doesn't mean
that I don't trust Jim's or Elena's judgment.  (On the contrary, I
have the highest respect for both of their judgments.)  They already
review lots of patches, just not always in as timely a fashion as I'd
like; I don't see why replacing them would be better than adding more
people to help them.

David Carlton
address@hidden