gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Andrew Cagney
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:19:25 -0500

So it makes me really angry to hear you basically blame patch
submitters for not pinging the maintainers enough, and talking about
reducing the number of maintainers as a solution.

David, no, anything but.

The intent is to provide contributors with a clearly documented way of bring attention to the fact that their patch has not been resolved - unless you've been explicitly told it is entirely acceptable to send patch pings, and expect a reasonable response.

At present we rely largely on me and my personal in-box, not a reliable mechanism, trust me.

> If anything, it puts more pressure on GDB's reviewers to perform.
>  Believe me, I've
> pinged - it's not good enough.  And why on earth would reducing the
> number of symtab maintainers help, why is it a better idea than
> opening up the process so that people who have shown that they know
> the code can approve patches?

Who says the number would be reduced? Have unreliable maintainers step back, certainly, possibly make way for new ones.

Cripes, it's release time, this is when I normally trot around and make various maintenance suggestions (I don't know why but only very rarely do I see a nomination from anyone other than me).

Andrew