Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Join the FSF

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Join the FSF
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:48:16 +0000 (GMT)

Michael Dorrington wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > Michael Dorrington wrote:
> >> So I've finally got around to joining the FSF (member #9429) and I even
> >> get to appear on ThankGNUs 2011ยน. So now I can recommend that *you* join
> >> the FSF as I won't be a hypocrite. :)
> >
> > Unless something has changed, you're only an associate, not a member
> > in the usual sense with a say in the running of the organisation.
>
> Its described as "associate membership".

Yes, and I suggest that having "membership" in there is misleading.

> > It's a fine thing to join, but don't be under any illusion it's
> > anything more than a supporter programme.
>
> Isn't supporting free software good?

Yes, as I wrote, "it's a fine thing to join".

> And you do have the influence of not renewing your membership. [...]

Has anyone doing that ever changed the FSF's policies?

http://fellowship.fsfe.org/ gives the influence of proposing actions,
voting and standing for election to the assembly.  Seems more direct.

Regards,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work http://www.software.coop/products/