Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Join the FSF

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Join the FSF
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:46:27 +0000 (GMT)

Michael Dorrington wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > Michael Dorrington wrote:
> Associate membership isn't a term they've made up, its the public used
> term for that type of membership.

Not that often and the term for the holder of an associate membership
is usually an associate member or simply associate, yet above it's
"member #9429".

> >> Isn't supporting free software good?
> > Yes, as I wrote, "it's a fine thing to join".
> And you wrote "anything more than a supporter programme.", seems a bit
> dismissive. Isn't a supporter programme really important?

Yes, solidarity is important.  Self-responsibility and democracy are
also important, aren't they?  Given a choice, people should prefer to
join an organisation which supports all three, right?

> >> And you do have the influence of not renewing your membership. [...]
> >
> > Has anyone doing that ever changed the FSF's policies?
> >
> > http://fellowship.fsfe.org/ gives the influence of proposing actions,
> > voting and standing for election to the assembly.  Seems more direct.
>
> I think people do have influence. I will certainly be trying to
> influence their policies, telling them if I don't like something and
> using my influence of membership renewal (or not!).

Has anyone doing that ever changed the FSF's policies?

Nevertheless, I hope you have better luck than I ever did.

> What about the other stuff that you didn't respond to:

Apart from the "worldwide" bit which is a can of worms I don't really
want to open (look at the translations of FSF.org), it looked like a
repeat of stuff I answered above.

Regards,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work http://www.software.coop/products/