Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu 9.10 Release Party - 30th October

From: Matthew Edmondson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu 9.10 Release Party - 30th October
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 23:07:21 +0100

Not something I would promote.  Instead, I accept that certain
distributions undervalue free software.  I might promote them for
other reasons, but not for their (lack of) commitment to free
software.

I love this perenial debate.

It made want to know what distro each of you first used? Can we initiate a poll?
How many of you fell straight onto one true path?

I wager a bet that many of you took a while to come to value Freedom.

It took me a while before I settled into Debian. I tried quite a few OS's and distro's before I found the path of righteousness.

I am very keen on Free Software and I understand the need to carry the flame of purity so as to light the way.

But a few years ago I chose to split my usage due to practical/lazy/time reasons between Ubuntu and Debian. It meant that I could live entirely without Windows. I am not a coder, I am a kludger, a sysadmin, a trainer and a businessman. It is *much* more work to follow the path of Freedom as a business GNU/Linux user, which is something hackers seem to forget sometimes. ; )

To be honest an the idea of an Ubuntu Launch party makes my skin crawl, however surely it is a prime opportunity to expose people to the path of righteousness or at least demonstrate that we are humans too. But no it is not a FS thing, thanks for reminding me Matt. But thanks Lucy for reminding me, maybe I will turn up in my Debian kilt or summat,

Matthew