Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu 9.10 Release Party - 30th October

From: John
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu 9.10 Release Party - 30th October
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 01:23:12 +0100

On Sunday 18 Oct 2009 23:07:21 Matthew Edmondson wrote:
> It made want to know what distro each of you first used?  Can we
> initiate a poll?

Yggdrasil, then SuSE, RedHat and Caldera before going frantic and trying
everything.

> How many of you fell straight onto one true path?

True path? We could not even drive the SCSI CD drives at the start. Now I get
choices.

> I wager a bet that many of you took a while to come to value Freedom.

My freedom, or yours? Do I get to chose what I do with my system and yes I do
have a single gNewSense box.

> It took me a while before I settled into Debian. I tried quite a few
> OS's and distro's before I found the path of righteousness.

Still trying everything until someone out there makes it all perfect for me.
(And my requirements change daily if not hourly. Just now (1:15am Monday
morning) I need a system that speaks in an English voice for a partially
sighted person with a web cam attached).

> I am very keen on Free Software and I understand the need to carry the
> flame of purity so as to light the way.

Great. If I promise to listen, will you spend the time to show me?

> But a few years ago I chose to split my usage due to practical/lazy/time
> reasons between Ubuntu and Debian.  It meant that I could live entirely
> without Windows.  I am not a coder, I am a kludger, a sysadmin, a
> trainer and a businessman.  It is *much* more work to follow the path of
> Freedom as a business GNU/Linux user, which is something hackers seem to
> forget sometimes. ; )
>
> To be honest an the idea of an Ubuntu Launch party makes my skin crawl,

Why? Did you attend the last? Did you not get a cake?

> however surely it is a prime opportunity to expose people to the path of
> righteousness or at least demonstrate that we are humans too.

> But no it is not a FS thing, thanks for reminding me Matt.  But thanks
> Lucy for reminding me, maybe I will turn up in my Debian kilt or summat,

I am willing to listen and be shown a truer way. Come and explain over a beer.

John