Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu !free

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu !free
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 19:40:00 +0100

2008/5/3 David Greaves <address@hidden>:
>> This last question is really about where the edges of our idea of
>> freedom are.  Would we allow people the freedom to chose and use what is
>> less good, or insist that they should forgo the use of software entirely
>> until it is all free?
>
> There is a need for people like RMS - I respect him enormously. I support his
> fight. He won't win in his lifetime - he knows this and fights on. Without RMS
> we don't have a goal or a direction.
>
> I consider that I am on the journey, I have stepped on a few stepping stones.
> The first was the hardest - so in considering your point: why make it hard for
> people to get on the path?

It doesn't make sense to ask anyone to "forgo the use of software
entirely until it is all free" - I've heard RMS instead ask people to
value software freedom as much as he does, and to take continual steps
along the journey from where they are now to where they will be when
they have no proprietary software left.

When people talk about taking a step backwards, that's sad, and when
they talk about taking steps forward, that's good but doesn't go far
enough.

I think its fair to keep up pressure on people who they have arrived
when they haven't.

--
Regards,
Dave