Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu !free

From: David Greaves
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu !free
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 19:12:50 +0100

> This last question is really about where the edges of our idea of
> freedom are.  Would we allow people the freedom to chose and use what is
> less good, or insist that they should forgo the use of software entirely
> until it is all free?

Hi - been lurking a while.
I'm actually down in Reading but I went to school in Manchester so that's close
;)

I have multiple linux machines (2 desktops, firewall, WRTG, 2 servers, 3 car
empegs, Rio receiver, 2 diskless Myth frontends)

For my desktops I use Debian,  strive to use free software drivers, I buy
hardware for my servers that use in-tree drivers. I made very sure to buy ATI
cards to use OS drivers.

However, I also run MythTV - it (essentially) doesn't work without nvidia cards
- I tried. So I use the NVidia drivers for my frontends. As soon as reasonably
practical I'll switch to ATI.

My WRTG router uses closed firmware - but I'm showing support for an open(ish)
wlan router.

If I hadn't compromised on the nvidia side then I wouldn't have gotten into Myth
and started several friends down the FS road; I wouldn't have started the Myth
Wiki or gotten so involved in linux RAID that I took over the linux RAID FAQ and
set up : http://linux-raid.osdl.org/

There is a need for people like RMS - I respect him enormously. I support his
fight. He won't win in his lifetime - he knows this and fights on. Without RMS
we don't have a goal or a direction.

I consider that I am on the journey, I have stepped on a few stepping stones.
The first was the hardest - so in considering your point: why make it hard for
people to get on the path?

David