Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu !free

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu !free
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 11:59:17 +0100

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 10:00:25AM +0100, aidy lewis wrote:
> Why then does Ubuntu say it is free software:
> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/philosophy

Ubuntu's priority is not free software.

The default Ubuntu installation installs a lot of non-free software.

You only have to look at bug #1 to see where the priorities lie:

  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

Even Gobuntu is non-free software:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/83118

> If it is not free software, should we not raise a bug against Ubuntu?
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs

This has been raised time and time again and you are not likely to make any
progress with it. Fundamentally, Canonical values pragmatism over freedom and
this is reflected in Ubuntu's roadmap time and time again.

This is the reason that I avoid Ubuntu and choose Debian instead.

--
Noah Slater - Bytesexual <http://bytesexual.org/>