Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Meeting reminder - Free Software Manchester - tomo

From: Paul Waring
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Meeting reminder - Free Software Manchester - tomorrow 7pm
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:08:29 +0000

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 07:32:39PM +0000, Iain Roberts wrote:
> Friends of the Earth is essentially a Microsoft shop,though I think they run
> their webserver on Solaris and they use the usual smattering of open source
> forums, wikis and CMSs.
>
> At the back end of last year, FoE were migrating *to* MS Exchange and Active
> Directory, with XP (and a few Macs) on the desktop.

I wasn't aware of this, I thought they used FOSS where possible (perhaps
not on the desktops for familiarity reasons, but at least on servers).
I'll prod the IT people I know there and see what is actually happening
as I'm surprised to hear that they would be migrating to Exchange
(although that's only FoE EWNI, not the other national organisations or
the local groups).

Paul

--
Paul Waring