Re: Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Meeting reminder - Free Software Manchester -

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Meeting reminder - Free Software Manchester - tomorrow 7pm
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:28:19 +0000

Sorry for dragging this initially well meaning thread, further
offtopic, though it is a while since I have seen such activity on
fsuk-manchester....
 ---
Firstly, let me start by pointing out I have no particular grudge
against either organisation. My knowledge of them I admit to be
limited, and there is a chance I may be wrong.

>Last time I checked, the Green Party were in favour of open source
>software, they even passed two motions at their 2005 conference
>promoting FOSS and opposing software patents. As for Friends of the
>Earth, I'm not sure why it would be entertaining to ask a member of that
>group their opinion - is there a particular point you are trying to make
>there?

The slightly snide suggestion I was giving was that, I am unsure to
what extent party councilors are aware of the policy, it's ins and
outs, and whether they adhere to it. I would also question whether the
average FoE member was aware of the issues at stake in relation to
Free Software.

Obviously the point I'm trying to make is that I don't believe all
would, whether this is reasonable or not considering they thought they
were only signing up against global warming etc, is a good question,
but really a bit OT.

I'm sure both organisations use Free Software, after all it's pretty
hard not to at some level.

It is interesting to hear that FoE is Microsoft after this:
http://badvista.fsf.org/freesoftwarefreesociety/free-software-free-society/

_if_ you haven't looked yet you *really* should before talking about FoE.

--
www.dobo.urandom.co.uk
----