Re: Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Meeting reminder - Free Software Manchester -

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Meeting reminder - Free Software Manchester - tomorrow 7pm
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:31:37 +0000

> If anything, I would compare Greenpeace (centralised, top-down
> organisation) to the closed source model and FoE (decentralised,
> grassroots/bottom-up) to free software -but that's more to do with how
> they run themselves rather than any of their policies. I can tell you
> that they both run FOSS for some of their IT infrastructure (not sure
> about their desktops) and if you put either of their names into Google
> followed by 'open source software' you'll get some interesting articles.

I don't mean to troll (though it can be fun sometimes) but open source
is a development model (the one you describe here) and free software
is a set of ideologies.

... and so the comparison is discovered to have more holes. ;)

--
Noah Slater <http://www.bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman