Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Welcome to the list!

From: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Welcome to the list!
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:11:20 +0100

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 01:45:25PM +0100, Matt Lee wrote:

> I don't know most of you, so perhaps we could each take a moment to
> introduce ourselves, if only for my benefit.

I'm Dave Page. I'm a Debian GNU/Linux user who works as a release
engineer on proprietary software (boo!) in Manchester City Centre.

I've been involved for a while with the IT Working Group at the Basement
Social Centre [1] on Lever Street. This was an attempt to create a Free
Software-oriented LTSP cluster to provide public Internet access and a
resource for activists to learn about Free Software while using it to
benefit their own campaigns.

Sadly, the Basement was flooded following a large fire in an adjacent
building [2] which destroyed the hardware itself, which coincided with
several project members leaving Manchester with varying degrees of
acrimony. It seems that in the interval, the wiki used for co-ordination
has had all its useful content spammed out of existence, and the mailing
list server used for co-ordination is flaky.

I would love to revive this project, and several members of the team are
still lurking around Manchester and could probably be roped back in.

Dave

[1] http://www.basementmanchester.org.uk/
[2] http://preview.tinyurl.com/2vypeh
--