Re: [Fsfe-uk] New FSFE Free PDF Readers Campaign

From: Tom Chance
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] New FSFE Free PDF Readers Campaign
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:31:46 +0100

On 16 September 2010 12:16, Jon Grant <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm certain 10 years from now FSF focus will still be on things like
> BIOS and Adobe's latest proprietary format, missing the web
> completely, the biggest area of software they have no priorities
> within, oops!

Questions about the distant future and FSFE/FSF's overall focus aside (given
that government web sites are always a good few years behind the cutting
edge), I think this is a very sensible little campaign.

A bunch of free software hackers talking about OGG Theora and HTML5 is
frankly not going to budge the remaining 99.9% of the world one centimetre
away from sharing documents in the PDF format.

Lots of government agencies are familiar with supply RTF rather than DOC
files, and consider PDF to be another good accessible format. They will
understand this campaign, and they might be sympathetic to pointing at the
freepdfreaders web site.

Get some decent content up on the freepdfreaders web site addressing issues
like PDF forms and accessibility, and you have a nice baby steps campaign
ready to roll.

Regards,
Tom