[Fsfe-uk] New FSFE Free PDF Readers Campaign

From: Sam Tuke
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] New FSFE Free PDF Readers Campaign
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:59:14 +0200

Today FSFE has launched a new campaign to remove advertising of proprietary
PDF readers from government websites.

Campaign: http://www.fsfe.org/campaigns/pdfreaders

Petition: http://www.fsfe.org/campaigns/pdfreaders/petition.en.html

The campaign is targeting European government websites that advertise or
require non-Free software, and particularly endorsements and links to Adobe
Acrobat Reader.

We will encourage the public to find and report to us websites that contain
such adverts, list them all publicly, and encourage signing of a petition to
end this practice.

There is a prize for groups and individuals who report the largest number of
infringing websites. At the end of the campaign the petition will be sent by
post to all the institutions involved.

At a period after the petitions have been sent we shall review the infringing
sites to see if the problems have been rectified, and if not we shall publicly
pursue them to seek a resolution.

We have already received significant press coverage of this event, and over two
hundred bugs have been submitted in the last few hours.

If you would like more information about this campaign, please don't hesitate
to get in touch.

Kind Regards,

Sam Tuke

--