Re: [Fsfe-uk] New FSFE Free PDF Readers Campaign

From: Jon
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] New FSFE Free PDF Readers Campaign
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:16:31 +0100

Sam Tuke wrote, On 15/09/10 10:55:
[.]
PDF is an ISO standard for which there are several Free Software implementations. As such, it is one of the better file formats for those organisations to use (much better than .doc or part of an online only viewer application).

Reluctantly, I find DOC far more useful than PDF, as I can edit it in OpenOffice.org. There are actually plenty of DOC readers like AbiWord and KOffice etc. (My end goal is always to get everyone to adopt ODF!)

Off this topic, but Fonts are the other issue lacking on GNU/Linux distros. As none will make FreeSans or Liberation font's show up as "Arial" and "Tahoma" etc in wordprocessor. So when I open the DOC files I get emailed from clients (no possibility to convince them to use OO), the font matching chooses some other font which has no resemblence, and then when I send back.. they get he same problems, as it now needs Liberation or FreeSans.

My company would fund development of someone to prepare an "Arial" font package and get it into the latest Ubuntu distro repository. This package just needs to contain the renamed "Liberation" font files. It can't be that difficult can it?

The reason I propose this development is to save everyone needing to install ms core fonts package (containing their Arial)

Cheers, Jon