Re: [Fsfe-uk] New FSFE Free PDF Readers Campaign

From: Sam Tuke
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] New FSFE Free PDF Readers Campaign
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:59:45 +0200

On Thursday 16 September 2010 13:47:21 Rob Myers wrote:
> A free PDF reader is above it in
> the list.

I met the lead GNUPDF developer last November at FSCONS and he said that the
project would achieve full read and write ISO PDF compliance. He also said
that the libraries that they would develop would likely be used by other
existing FS PDF software as they would be more complete.

However I haven't heard anything more about GNUPDF since then, and their
website has not been updated in nearly a year.

Its worth bearing in mind however that for possibly 90% of scenarios existing
FS PDF readers are capable. Acrobat reader may not achieve much more than this
for all I know, and as I have already mentioned, they have problems of their
own.

So long as we are only comparing readers, its also worth bearing in mind that
some FS PDF readers have original features not implemented by Adobe.

Thanks,

Sam.