Re: [Fsfe-uk] Time to boycot OLPC?

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Time to boycot OLPC?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 00:10:24 +0200

2008/4/24 Alex Hudson <address@hidden>:
>  I think what OLPC is discovering is that there are sufficient customers who
> want Windows that the dent in their costs is likely to be more than offset
> by the increase in volume they can ship.

That is exactly what is happening; if they make the Sugar UI run on
windows and ship windows, they will sell more laptops. This is a
education project (ie, about putting the Sugar in kids hands) and not
a software freedom project.

I figured something like this was going on when over a month ago I
read the Chief Security Engineer's blog:

"Not long ago, OLPC undertook a drastic internal restructuring coupled
with what, despite official claims to the contrary, is a radical
change in its goals and vision from those that were shared with me
when I was invited to join the project. Adding insult to injury, I was
asked to stop working with Walter Bender, without a doubt one of the
most stunningly thoughtful and competent people I've ever worked with.
Following Walter's demotion from OLPC presidency, I was to report
instead to a manager with no technical or engineering background who
was put in charge of all OLPC technology.

***I cannot subscribe to the organization's new aims or structure in
good faith,*** nor can I reconcile them with my personal ethic. Having
exhausted other options, three weeks ago I resigned my post at OLPC."

http://radian.org/notebook/maintaining-clarity

--
Regards,
Dave