Re: [Fsfe-uk] Time to boycot OLPC?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Time to boycot OLPC?
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:55:02 +0100

Ian Lynch wrote:
On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 14:50 +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
argument though, either. If you're selling a service rather than software, the software immediately becomes almost irrelevant,

That depends on volume. If I sell 2 million laptops and save $5 each on
Windows licenses it's still 10 million and the margin on these machines
is going to get smaller and smaller.

Well, you've hit the nail right on the head there as far as OLPC is concerned: they're not selling millions of machines. The $5 saving of Windows tax is illusory until you actually sell the same volume: if I make $10 a unit and sell 2 million, and you make $15/unit but only sell 500k, I'm still ahead and I have four times more customers.

I think what OLPC is discovering is that there are sufficient customers who want Windows that the dent in their costs is likely to be more than offset by the increase in volume they can ship. That's speculation, though, I admit.

On that scale I might well be
better to design and source my own machines. I think Mandriva is
profitable and it does Linux desktops. Not sure about Canonical but they
have enough reserves to keep going for quite a while. While there is
Linux desktop development I might as well tap into it.

Well, I agree with that (to the extent that you realise you're dependent on the investment of others ;), but again, it doesn't matter how cheap you can get it unless customers want it, and I think that's the problem OLPC have bumped into.

and that's basically what has happened to the OLPC project, except that there 'education' supplants software, to seed the kind of self-learning that 8-bit micros did. They've just realised that you don't need free software to do that.

You don't if the software license costs come down to zero or very close
to it. Free software is likely to be instrumental in making that happen
though and then as stuff moves to the web the desktop OS will become
irrelevant anyway. I think that is probably worse for MS than for anyone
else.

Possibly. I'm not sure; I think that would require a much greater degree of commoditization than currently exists and is likely to exist in the next 10-15 years. I don't think price is the issue at this point; you basically can't give a free desktop away at the moment.