Re: [Fsfe-uk] Time to boycot OLPC?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Time to boycot OLPC?
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:06:14 +0100

Ian Lynch wrote:
The devil is in the detail. Why do they care it runs Windows? Two
possibilities, simple brand strength and/or because they want to run (or
think they might need to run) software that only runs on Windows.
Question is how much they are prepared to pay for either of those two
requirements. Many people will pay a premium for "the brand" but then
why not just buy a conventional laptop? - Price.

Yeah that, but also that OLPC is ruggedised. I know it's in the same price bracket as eeePC et al, but it's not in the same bracket in terms of dropping it on the floor / replacing parts / etc. As a hardware platform, it's quite attractive in some ways which could also attract a premium,

For OEM Windows sales - I have no doubt MS will sell an OLPC-specific (almost) version which can only run three apps at a time (or whatever their Basic limitation was) and do it for something like $5. I doubt they care about the price too much at this point.

As for your other points - I couldn't agree more. The hardware will get more powerful, and Windows will slim to fit. The educational apps aren't good enough to shift sales of this thing alone; customers are still going to expect 'standard Office apps' on this thing because most people's computer lives totally revolve around that. At the end of the day, the problem reduces to "selling a free software desktop", and nobody has really made a profit from that yet.

The GUI is a nice design, but trying to sell it is a complete nother matter.