Re: [Fsfe-uk] Time to boycot OLPC?

From: Nick Hill
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Time to boycot OLPC?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:29:58 +0100

Ian Lynch wrote:

I estimate the costs of EeePC hardware when manufactured in tens of millions, break down at factory gate approximately as follows (without VAT):
7" TFT screen £7
Keyboard, plastics £5
Battery £4

Where can you buy laptop batteries at under a fiver?

18650 cells CNY18/pc 5000+
http://www.diytrade.cn/china/4/products/4109078/18650_battery_3_7V2000mAh_battery_cylindrical_battery_li-ion_battery.html

Probably closer to CNY13.5 in multi-million quantities.

4 used in EeePC costing CNY54. Current exchange rates CNY13.9/£. Yields a cost for 4 cells of £3.88.

Didn't you forget RAM? Flash is for storage isn't it? I hope you are
right but I think that is a bit optimistic.

Yes, I did forget RAM. Built modules using commodity DDR2 currently cost £12.34/GB from e-tailers, including VAT, and delivery if you buy more than 4.

£10.50 excl VAT. No extra PCB, retailer margins, delivery costs etc for ram, so say £9/GB yields £4.50 for 512M on-board RAM, making my revised base price estimate £48.50.

Costs may vary depending on the market for establishing a guaranteed high volume supply of components.