Re: [Fsfe-uk] Online Petitions (was: Software in Schools)

From: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Online Petitions (was: Software in Schools)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:54:37 +0000

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 09:42:31AM +0000, Stuart Yeates wrote:

> Might I suggest that in order for a truly significant number of
> signatures to be garnered, we first need to build a consensus about
> behind the a particular approach and behind a particular form of words
> which the maximum number of people can sign up to? One petition on the
> site has 1,379,129 signatures, but 10,000 would take us easily into
> the top twenty on the site.

There's also an argument for not using petitions.pm.gov.uk at all,
namely that it encourages "lazy activism" with its fire-and-forget
nature. An online petition which also allows signatories to sign up to,
say, the FSFE newsletter would help keep people who sign it in the loop
concerning Free Software and give them monthly reminders of the issue.

Dave
--
Dave Page <address@hidden>
Jabber: address@hidden