Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software in Schools

From: Stuart Yeates
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software in Schools
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:42:31 +0000

Jocelyn Chappell wrote:

> I have set up an e-petition

This is not the only e-petition on open source software running on
the site and I doubt it will be the last.

Might I suggest that in order for a truly significant number of
signatures to be garnered, we first need to build a consensus about
behind the a particular approach and behind a particular form of
words which the maximum number of people can sign up to? One
petition on the site has 1,379,129 signatures, but 10,000 would take
us easily into the top twenty on the site.

There are a number of membership bodies who may be prevailed upon to
at least raise the petition with their membership if approached
correctly. I'm thinking of UKUUG, BCS, as well as bodies in teaching
and the civil service (which I know vanishing little about).

The text of the actual petition is, I believe, very important and
needs to amount a complete rationale for the petition. I'm aware
that the rules for the content of the text is somewhat
unfortunate[1] (no URLs, etc) is there also a concrete limit on the
length of the "concise statement" and "More details" ?

cheers
stuart

[1] http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/terms