Re: [Fsfe-uk] Accounting for charity with free software

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Accounting for charity with free software
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:36:04 +0000

Richard Smedley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 09:47 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Are there free software accounting packages which can handle
> > restricted funds well?
>
> Before the MOST project had the plug pulled, we commissioned [...]
> I am in Birmingham next week, and will try and track down
> the developer for more info.

Any luck?

Max Hertzberg of Seeds for Change (a non-profit training co-op,
www.seedsforchange.org.uk) sent me this summary:

> Gnucash has advanced considerably recently, and now has the features you'd
> expect such as double entry bookkeeping, regular transactions and the ability
> to have several 'accounts', even sub-accounts within accounts. This could
> work well where you need to ring-fence restricted funds and show them
> seperately in a financial report/accounts since each 'account' can be shown
> seperately on the report/accounts sheet.
>
> Kmymoney http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/ - running under KDE - has come
> from
> virtually nowhere and also has an impressive list of features. In this
> software you can have categories within accounts - so that not just reserved
> funds, but all the budget posts can be listed easily. This seems a much more
> intuitive way of dealing with reserved funds.
>
> SQL ledger http://www.sql-ledger.org is interesting because it runs from any
> SQL database with a web front end, so isnt'd tied to any particular machine
> or operating system. It's not too advanced, but again you could have reserved
> funds in a seperate account.

Also, Software in the Public Interest (SPI, http://www.spi-inc.org/ )
is supporting development of LedgerNPO, which is based on LedgerSMB,
which is based on SQL ledger.  It's not ready yet, but one to watch.

Regards,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble.