Re: [Fsfe-uk] Are GPL projects more likely to evolve faster ?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Are GPL projects more likely to evolve faster ?
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 18:55:26 +0000

On 2004-02-04 11:50:09 +0000 Chris Croughton <address@hidden> wrote:

That's one area where I'm dubious as well, why should I assign copyright
to anyone else?

The FSF's reasons are given in the page someone mentioned on the list recently. The FSFE have produced a fiduciary licence agreement (FLA) which is designed for European law that only allows them to make free software from it IIRC, which I think would address your main concern. I don't remember that guarantee in the last FSF Copyright Assignment I saw, in 2002, but maybe it's there now.

Is re-inventing the wheel better, though?  Serious question.  I prefer
the carrot to the stick, and I feel that the GPL is more of a stick --

I think GPL and FreeBSD-style licences are both only carrots, as the default is no permission. Maybe the distribution of carrots between author and modifier is different, and maybe it depends on the complexity of the code, but that's part of the question that started this thread, IMO.

In most cases of GPL code I've looked at, though, it seems that the
copyright and licence info is only in comments.

Many display a copyright notice in certain circumstances, so that string is in the code.

But I certainly don't eschew using GPL code and libraries where the
problem doesn't arise, and many of the owners of GPL code are willing to
grant exceptions for specific cases where there is good reason (there
are some fanatics who won't, but that's their choice).

I am sure there are some who won't who aren't easily classed as "fanatics" too. A lot of your message looked at the many and varied motives for owners, so I dislike this broad tar brush only appearing when you don't agree with them.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden