Re: [Fsfe-uk] Are GPL projects more likely to evolve faster ?

From: Martin WHEELER
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Are GPL projects more likely to evolve faster ?
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:48:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Simon Waters wrote:

> Part of the reaso is also that by explicitly assigning copyright you
> must establish that you owned the copyright in the first place, which if
> people are in paid employment may not be the case.

Ahem.  Correction.  You own the copyright in any work you produce,
whether in paid employment or not.  You also own the copyright to any
work produced by you for your employer, *unless* you have specifically
signed away your rights to any such work (and this must be in writing).
If you have NOT signed away your rights in this way (usually via
contract of employment), then copyright is automatically owned.

I have a colleague who took IBM to court, and WON, over this very issue.

address@hidden                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/