Re: [Fsfe-uk] Are GPL projects more likely to evolve faster ?

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Are GPL projects more likely to evolve faster ?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:46:40 +0000

Chris Croughton wrote:

> Yes, I've read that and it makes sense in the US, but in the UK
> registration has never been the norm (is there even a registry?).

It's about defending the copyright not registering it.

> I suppose that since the GNU project as a whole is their project that
> makes sense.  Does the GPL make similar exceptions for other people's
> projects?  As far as I am aware, it doesn't, if (say) Mozilla had a
> clause which said that any changes had to be assigned to them my
> impression is that such a clause would make it 'un-free' by GPL
> standards.  I would be happy to be wrong, however.

There is no GPL exception for the FSF or GNU project for this - it is a
requirement for submitting code to the GNU project.

As such there is no licence issue, and so no "unfree" clause.

You can take a GNU project program branch it, and add your bit with your
copyright and distribute under the GPL, just don't expect the GNU
project to necessarily help you distribute it.

Freedom includes the freedom for maintainers to refuse patches for
whatever reason (including copyright ownership).

Part of the reaso is also that by explicitly assigning copyright you
must establish that you owned the copyright in the first place, which if
people are in paid employment may not be the case.