Re: [Fsfe-uk] Are GPL projects more likely to evolve faster ?

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Are GPL projects more likely to evolve faster ?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:03:33 +0000

Chris Croughton wrote:

> That's one area where I'm dubious as well, why should I assign copyright
> to anyone else?

Eben has explained this on the GNU website.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html

The FSF has a big fighting fund and it may even help you defend your own
GPL'ed software, but if your project carries a GNU label it is expected
you'll assign the rights to them so they can protect it themselves.

I think the issue only arises if you intend to release the same code
under a different licence in which case you might not want to assign
copyright to the FSF, but you probably don't want to make such code a
GNU project in the first place.