Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: OSS Watch inaugural conference, 11 December 2003

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: OSS Watch inaugural conference, 11 December 2003
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:02:11 +0000

On 2004-02-04 10:36:25 +0000 Andrew Savory <address@hidden> wrote:

Holy cow, talk about dragging up an old argument.

I have a backlog of email on some lists.

You see nothing in the OSS Watch Service Objectives, huh? well, I see nothing in the AFFS constitution about endlessly debating non-issues on the mailing list, but it still happens.

Stating logically disconnected reasons and a confrontational parliamentary tone is unhelpful. I'd like to understand OSS-Watch's actions and whether they are friendly to AFFS. I've had conflicting signals so far.

http://www.jisc.ac.uk/index.cfm?name=circular_3_03
"Provision of information of potential use in personal or institutional decision-making (detailed information on open source licensing models and specific licences, and on data pertaining to the economics of choosing open source software as opposed to commercial software)"

This is useful information I didn't read recently. Thank you. Does it require involvement of proprietary software publishers? Involving commercial publishers of free software would seem sufficient, but the odd phrasing suggests it might not satisfy JISC.

[...] What OSS Watch do to educate people is (within their JISC remit) entirely up to them, so I suggest you let them get on with it.

Sure, but I don't think the reasons emailed to this list followed from their stated service objectives. It would be different if we were told they invited Microsoft to participate in that debate because they wanted to, rather than they were obliged to in order to fulfil some balance requirement.

Do we know what their next event will be?

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden