Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: OSS Watch inaugural conference, 11 December 2003

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: OSS Watch inaugural conference, 11 December 2003
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:52:14 +0000

On 2003-11-28 11:54:34 +0000 Andrew Savory <address@hidden> wrote:

we're talking about a conference run by an advisory service which is all about informing people of the choices involved in using open source software. One of those choices is most certainly "don't use it", and so it makes a lot of sense to have a representative of the alternative there to talk about it.

It seems a clear contradiction for something "about informing people of the choices involved in using open source software" to discuss not using it. That's a choice involved in whether to use it, instead. I see nothing in the OSS-Watch Service Objectives[1] which should oblige them to accommodate proprietary software publishers (PSPs) in general events: I'm sure OSS-Watch can give "unbiased appraisal" without resorting to comparative studies. Of course, having PSP reps there to discuss migration and interoperability (as you wrote later in the message) is useful.

1. http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/about/index.xml.ID=body.1_div.3

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden