Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC slander

From: Tom Chance
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC slander
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:54:40 +0000

On Friday 06 Feb 2004 11:10, P.L.Hayes wrote:
> Ahh! - ofcom - thanks Kevin, I will certainly have a go at draughting
> something to ofcom, later today hopefully. That article was not the first
> time Stephen Evans has presented the extremely partisan views of particular
> groups in industry to the exclusion of any others. He did the same in a
> radio piece about EMI presenting their desire to extend copyright to 95
> years like in the U.S. as perfectly reasonable. It certainly seems like he
> has been bought and paid for like Fourtou, McCarthy, Bolkestein etc. but
> I'd never really considered corruption in journalism before. Is it not just
> as dangerous - if not more so - than political corruption? Anyway, I will
> not make such unsubstantiated allegations in my letter to ofcom of course
> ;)

Could you post your letter here before you post it off? People in the UKCDR
are quite interested in this too. Perhaps the AFFS and the UKCDR could come
together and do a bit of a letter campaign, or a joint formal letter, to
Ofcom?

Unless of course there are better ways of doing this. But it seems to me that
if there are ways of representing the widespread disapproval of the way the
BBC reports FS issues generally, we should take it.

Tom

p.s. the UKCDR also have a bone to pick with the reporting on issues like
piracy