Re: how update the website for the complex layout

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: how update the website for the complex layout
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 21:30:25 +0900

Dear Werner, Lawrence,

As a quick fix, I want to propose the additional item to FAQ.

Q: How to implement Asian vertical writing text by FreeType 2? I heard it had
been available before OpenType.
A: FreeType 2 does not support it. Before OpenType, the text renderers did many
non-systematic hacks, like the detection of the writing mode by using the
modified font name, the renderer-side glyph rotation for the vertical writing
mode, or digging the pre-rotated glyphs at the PUA codepoints in the font, etc
etc. The modern operating systems and font developers switched to the OpenType
or TrueTypeGX, and the fonts designed for such legacy technologies are no
longer widely distributed. So, FreeType 2 is not going to support them, if no
new patches are proposed by the volunteers.

BTW, I wonder whether current last answer referring Pango should be improved by
referring HarfBuzz. Yes, Pango is still essential part of GTK+, but HarfBuzz is
becoming more general framework broader than GTK+. How do you feel?

--

I would consider the additional text to add the vertical metrics discussion in
later.

Regards,
mpsuzuki