how update the website for the complex layout

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: how update the website for the complex layout
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 17:31:17 +0900

Dear Werner, Lawrence,

Sorry, please let me change the Subject of the discussion...

I feel a sympathy with the impression "often we receive the questions
looking for the complex text layout features in FreeType itself",
and the impression might make some experts tired.

The expected way would be guiding the people to some sample code using
HarfBuzz or something like that, even if they are out of the FreeType
project.

Also, update of the website document is expected. Taking a glance,
I found a few points.

P1) Currently FAQ does not answer to such questions.

P2) Tutorial II "Managing Glyphs" has some mentions about vertical
text layout, but unclear what FT2 can do and what FT2 cannot do.

Yet I don't have a good answer to a person saying "I don't care
the right-to-left scripts, or the complex glyph shaping like various
Indic scripts, I understand they need very complicated technology.
But I just want the support for CJK vertical writing mode, it should
be possible that raw FT2 supports it? The dependency chain before
HarfBuzz, like X11, pixman, cairo, glib, C++, etc etc are too long
for me!"

One of my headache is that there could be documentations describing
"dumb" vertical text layout (and misleading some people to outdated
solutions), like, the glyph rotation in the renderer-side. I was
thinking such technology was already gone, but recently I heard
some HTML renderers adopted such technologies to work with inappropriate
fonts X-p.

Regards,
mpsuzuki