Re: [Freetype] Font files and vertical text

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Font files and vertical text
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 20:00:20 +1200

On Sun, 16 May 2021 07:35:04 +0000 (UTC), Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2021 18:45:55 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>> Too many times I see questions on this list from people trying to do
>> complicated font rendering directly in FreeType, when they should be
>> using higher-level rendering/shaping engines like Cairo, HarfBuzz
>> and Fribidi. They should be saving themselves some work.
>
> Can you suggest or provide a documentation fix for the web page that
> guides people into the right direction?

You want me to submit an item for the FAQ along the lines of “How do I
do advanced/language-specific text layout?”? Sure, I can do that.

I can mention Fribidi for bidirectional arrangement, HarfBuzz for
shaping/placement/substitution, and Cairo for actual rendering.
Anything else along those lines anybody wants to see covered?