Re: how update the website for the complex layout

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: how update the website for the complex layout
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 14:20:05 +0900

Oh, sorry for my poor wording.

What exactly do you mean with a 'more general framework'?

If my memory is correct, HarfBuzz was started as the one of the infrastructure
for the Pango.
When it was started, there were other non-HarfBuzz OpenType drivers, like Qt,
like ICU, etc. Maybe there were more.
But now, the major players like Qt and ICU had changed to HarfBuzz. So I feel
HarfBuzz had grown as more general framework, in comparison with its beginning.

But anyway, your pointing out "HarfBuzz is a text shaping library, not a text layout
library" is important for the people looking for "text layout framework showing vertical
glyphs in vertical writing mode". Maybe a simple mention on HarfBuzz is a misleading info,
like, giving a flour to a person looking for a bread. I withdraw my proposal to replace the mention
on Pango by the mention on HarfBuzz. More elaboration is needed.

Regards,
mpsuzuki