[Freebangfont-devel] RE: [indic] Re: On the Bengali Proposal

From: Andy
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] RE: [indic] Re: On the Bengali Proposal
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:00:05 +0100

> hmmm..
> that is a good idea (tm).
> however, we need to make sure that there is an error when ppl use the
> wrong sequence with ekaar/ikaar
> For example, Yudit implements such a scheme (you can write standalone
> vowel signs, and even surprise surprise surprise!! standalone yafala),
> and you cannot distinguish between
>
> ekaar la | la ekaar
> ikaar la | la ikaar
>
> Also, another possible combination which may create troubles is
>
> a akaar (in place of aa)

'a' + 'akaar' is already becoming a problem because 'a' has incorrectly been
classified as a consonant ( so that jophola works with it). That is one of the
reasons that I oppose the encoding of a+jophola using hosonto. (I prefer
a+ZWJ+hosonto+Ya)

"space + ekaar + la" would be reordered as "ekaaar space la" So the problem
should be visible.

All that needs to be checked and marked is the (start of line/file) +
ekaar/ikaar.

So the recommendation would be to replace the checking of valid Indic letters
with the checking for start of line/file etc. Sounds simple enough?

Andy