[Freebangfont-devel] Re: +AFs-Freebangfont-devel+AF0- RE: FREE Bangla So

From: jn
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: +AFs-Freebangfont-devel+AF0- RE: FREE Bangla Software Avro Keyboard - NewVersion Available
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 07:54:20 -0000

Dear Deepayan,

"Yes, it's clear that there's no intent to violate the FBF licenses here, but I
agree with Andy that there should be something on the download page itself
that tells the user what license he or she is downloading things under. This
holds not only for GPL fonts, but any other piece of software as well. It's
important that such information be somehow available on the download page
(maybe via links) because people might be led there from places other than

http://www.omicronlab.com/avrokeyboard/download.htm

(some other site may decide to link there directly).

Also, even though you acknowledge the FBF project, you don't explicitly state
the license. Downloaders should (1) know that what they are downloading is
under the GPL and (2) they may not know what the GPL is, so you should have a
link to the GPL, either in a local file, or from the FSF site

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

This is also true for the Avro Keyboard bundle. Users who have downloaded the
whole package should be made aware that some components are under this
particular license called the GPL. In my opinion, the advertisement of
GPL-ness is much more important than the prominence of individual credits,
especially because the awareness of software licenses needs a lot of
improvement among the target population of bengali software."

----I have written to Andy what happens here (I mean why this lisence info is not present on the page). I am going to add this within this week.

"I think I know about this, and I'm pretty sure the person who posted this
violated the agreement MS provided this font to him under. I doubt MS is
going to prosecute, but Vrindra is definitely not publicly available now, and
I doubt that it's ever going to be released under a license that permits
redistribution anyway."

---What do you suggest me? Should I remove this font? May this font create problem on me in the future? I need your suggestion.....

Again the same matter, if you have seen the Vrinda font, you will see that khandatta is written by ta+halant+ZWJ. Fonts of this FBF project still use ta+halant. I am not a font developer, but I think things have been changed a bit and Vrinda is right. this is the only reason of distributing Vrinda with Avro Keyboard, nothing else. This font doesn't have any wonderful typeface that has made me in love with it! If you update your fonts, I shall remove Vrinda immediately.

Best regards,